Monday, August 18, 2008

Review: Brandon Chandler & The Revival

I was very impressed by the debut album of Brandon Chandler and his band, The Revival, titled After All This Time. The album is a very catchy and soulful tracklist of summery tunes, like something you'd hear gracing the background at the neighborhood backyard barbecue. Chandler's voice is reminiscent of the vocal style of Jason Mraz and Ray LaMontagne, and as a big fan of those aforementioned artists, I found Chandler and his band's work equally appealing. He has a bluesy, feel-good vibe, paired with beautifully written lyrics and excellent guitar sound. I loved the diversity of instruments used, from guitars to pianos to organs, all mashed together into the wonderful harmony of sweet-sounding soul.

I believe the energy and youthful originality created by Chandler and The Revival will make them heavy-hitters in the folk/acoustic genre. My favorite tracks on After All This Time were "Slow Up, Slow Down", "The Sixes and Sevens", and finally "Lie To Me", which provides a great example of Chandler's incredible vocal range. I'm excited to see Chandler and The Revival's sophomore album Make Love Sing, due in early fall of 2008.

Also, I had to mention it because I loved it so much, but the artwork and design of Chandler's album cover is frickin' awesome. If I saw this album in the store I'd pick it up just because I liked how it looked. The artwork totally captures the essence of the genre, so major kudos to the band for choosing that design and to the designer for creating it.

sweet

No comments: